Wednesday, 4 February 2009

Snow...

Slog into work, or turn home put the kettle on and stare out of the window at the miraculous whiteness? For about 20 minutes I tried to get in, but when my boss rang to say she'd given up, I gave up too.

Within minutes I was home, with my tea and laptop, listening to the radio. Bliss. All the better for being so utterly unexpected. I went to the park and ran round it. I took photos. I spoke to people taking photos of the frozen canal. I breathed the air and listened to the deafening silence. Everyone was smiling.

When I got back home, the first thing I heard on the radio was some busybody saying the cost to the economy could run into the billions.

Is this what we've become? A nation of utilitarians? Does anyone seriously maintain that a day spent working at home making snowmen harms productivity? I don't believe it, and anyway, I don't care. I think for most people it was a huge and unexpected bonus that brought people together and made them appreciate life a bit more. And as Will Young said on Question Time, it was nice to be brought together by something other than disaster. I don't think I'll ever forget Monday 2nd February 2009.



No comments: