Thursday, 26 June 2008

Meaning in friendship

I have a friend from school called Gareth Marlow. I always think I'm bright, but I'm aware of the existence of people who are way brighter than me, in another division altogether. Gareth Marlow is one of these. I went to school with Gareth Marlow and he could do everything - including play music just by hearing it. We both love The Beatles and he used to belt out Let it be whilst I shrieked along strumming a tennis racquet.

I didn't hear from Gareth Marlow for many years after school, but we made contact a while ago through Friends Reunited. We still don't speak often, but I was reminded about real friendship when a couple of days ago he sent me the link to the brilliant animation, below.

It combines my search for meaning at work with my love of Radiohead. This to me is so revealing about the nature of friendship. If you have really good friends, they unearth these sorts of things for you. They can literally help you construct your new life. And this doesn't seem to depend on time or reciprocity - they know so much about you that they make brilliant connections to you on your behalf without thinking what they will get out of it.

'Think you'll like this' is what his e-mail said. Always one for understatement was Gareth Marlow...

1 comment:

Gareth said...

And what goes around, comes around. I never really did the Radiohead thing first time around. I don't know why. But I've listened to little else for the last week...