Thursday, 20 December 2007

Positive Psychology - 1

One of the key positive psychology interventions is to pay a gratitude visit. Whereby, you write a letter to someone who helped you explaining how they helped you and then deliver it in person and read it out.

So far, so Californian.

Anyway, I decided to try it out. It only occurred to me when Martin Seligman - the Father of Positive Psychology - sat behind me just before lunch. When the session finished I turned round and said something like 'Marty, can I pay you a brief gratitude visit?' and then launched into a speech about how his book, Authentic Happiness, essentially reconceptualised my understanding of what happiness is, and in so doing changed my whole life.

I would love to say that it was great but in truth it was just slightly awkward, probably for both of us. I think I'd prefer to be miserable.

Does positive psychology need translating for a British audience?

No comments: