Saturday, 3 February 2007

Decision making

Forgive me for a moment, but I am going to pause a while by this gatepost to sound a little...how do I put this? Smug.

You see, I am feeling so relieved about making this decision to leave consultancy and to start my own business. It feels right. I feel more adventurous, and I do feel as though I won't fail.

But only 6 months ago I was still wracked with uncertainty. Despite having taken even more time off work (this time to study psychology) I had not worked out what to do. All the options in psychology seemed as poor a fit as consulting was. Every day, I fought depression, mainly through running, but there seemed no way out. And this had been going on for 5 years.

I am fascinated about the decision making process that got me from there to this gatepost.

So, if you will forgive me, I am going to try and piece it together bit by bit. I have already alluded to the importance of new friends (and old in some rare cases) but what else was important?

I am hoping that by examining this process there are some common elements that may help others.

No comments: