Wednesday, 7 February 2007

Step 3: Moving (on)

If you are in limbo, and almost feel like you are paralysed as I did, what should you do?
The answer, for me at least, was this: move. It doesn't matter where you move, or how, but move. Do something. For now, it can be anything.

A great friend and I were remarking on the following quote, by Goethe:

Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.

And I have to say, I really think I believe this. I am not ruling out rational thought or considered action. But if you are genuinely feeling lost and rudderless, then doing something is always better than doing nothing.

And this is one of the few things I did right. The one thing I kept doing when I was lost, was exercise. And in turn this gave me the energy to keep trying things. So, the bar in Bow failed before we'd even thought about a location, but we did try. And from it, I knew I really wanted to start something myself. And I had the energy to start my psychology degree, even when I was dreading it, and had no idea what to do with it. And from that I met my business partner.

You may feel lost and weary. If so, I urge you to gather your strength and courage.

And begin something.


No comments: