Sunday, 28 January 2007

Telling the story

It's funny the things that sustain you in crisis. I have been talking to friends for some months about my intention to leave consultancy and set up my own business.

It has been like playing a role...and I tried the role of psychologist. And no one laughed. In fact people took it worryingly seriously. Go for it, they said.

So I carry on talking about it. Telling the story of my new life. I introduced myself to someone as a psychologist. And everyone says the same thing. Go for it.

When taken one by one, my cycnical brain discounts these views easily. But as the moment of decision nears, and my apprehension grows stronger, the support keeps coming.

I tell more people. 'I want to do something worthwhile'. More people support me. Go for it.

Decision-making for me is about inching towards something. It is a painful, drawn out process. You need people's honesty, above all. But to get it, you have to tell them your story. Act the part. Try on the clothes of a new direction. See how they fit.

Mine seem to fit fine.

I am listening to The Streets now, and I think I'll resign from my job tomorrow.

Its the end of something I did not want to end
Beginning of hard times to come
But something that was not meant to be is done
and this is the start of what was.


2 comments:

Laura Richards said...

I am going to be the "first poster" on your blog as well.

I totally understand your apprehensions in all of this. Essentially, you're going to be making a big change, and that's scary. But I'm going to remind you of something that you said in one of our emails - "they say that people often regret the things they don't do, rather than things they do do, and I think that's true." I think you might need to apply that to your life right now.

Not to be too cliche, but it's better to have tried and failed, then to have never tried at all. There's so much more to be learned and so much more to be gained in the trying, then there is in the "wondering about trying." And you know that ultimately you will not fail anyway. How can you fail when you're doing what your heart says and doing something you're passionate about?

Rob said...

Wise words, from a wise woman! Thanks for that - and thanks for being my first commenter!