Tuesday, 18 July 2006

Does it have to be like this?

I've returned to work after some time out to study. One of the most depressing aspects is going to work in one of these business parks. You essentially have to drive there in a car because usually they can only be found in the middle of a large field.

I don't have a car, so at the end of my 2 hour commute I have a 30 minute walk across a field. I'm enjoying it, as you can imagine.

As I sit on the train, I pass the commuters. Those people, standing on platforms for day after day, year after year.

Does it have to be like this? Sould we be grateful that we aren't starving and that our children are healthy? Or worried that we waste our lives waiting for the 07:52 from Brighton, day after day?

This is a genuine question, as I have not (yet) been brave enough to do anything else either.

No comments: